Friday, July 18, 2008

Juanita's, and an introduction

I can hear you calling me on it right now... you created that other blog, and never wrote on it! Well, hopefully you can rely on the fact that I eat out. A lot. And I figured, why not share those dining experiences with the world? I've always sought out decent restaurant reviews online, because not only do I eat out a lot, but I'm totally stuck-up about it. I've never found anything worthwhile, so I thought maybe I could fill the void, at least for those Boulder restaurants that I happen to frequent. Here it is: i like stuff eats. Oh, how she eats.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning this blog with a less-than-stellar experience. I would have liked to begin with, perhaps, my first foray into Frasca, or a reprise of the ever-fabulous Q's. But, here I am, writing about Juanita's. Rex and I dined there last night, and it's never been a favorite, but we chose it because on foot in that part of town, the choices within a couple blocks either suck (BJs, Old Chicago, and say what you want about the margs, but the food at the Rio sucks) or are too expensive for my broke-ass (The Kitchen, The West End Tavern). So Juanita's it was. I'm no margarita expert, so I'll leave that review to someone else. My short-and-sweet summary would be that Juanita's is totally unremarkable and average. It's not bad, it's just, well, just ok. The service is average (though sometimes average = great, given how bad it can get) . My complaint about the menu is that it doesn't have enough information. I like to know where my food is coming from, something about preparation, etc. This is one reason that were I to elect to have Mexican anywhere in Boulder, I'd go to Casa Alvarez. I was able to infer from the notation on the "vegetarian black beans" that the pintos were probably cooked in lard. Which means partially hydrogenated lard in this day and age, which means it converts to trans fats in your blood. I'm trying to avoid hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated and trans fatty foods, so I was avoiding the pintos this evening. I ordered the Blue Corn Enchiladas with Cheese and Onions, with the vegetarian beans, naturally. Like everything else about Juanita's, it was unremarkable. Bland, and the rice had peas and carrots in it (like the canned kind). Plus, it took FOREVER to get our food. By the end, I was cranky and ready to get out. It took me several visits, but I've finally realized that Juanita's is not worth the time and effort. If I wanted mild cheddar melted in a corn tortilla with slow service, I'd cook for myself.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I've never been there, and now probably never will. Efrains is apparently the way to go! Love the restaurant blog, by the way, it's way rad.

Paris N. said...

I forgot to mention Efrain's in my post...I'll have to eat there so I can write a review!